Irish Cream Bars - St. Patrick's Day

Wednesday 18 March 2009

I've never really celebrated St. Patrick's Day. I'm not Irish and it was never something that was celebrated by my friends either. A lot of people seem to just spend the day in the pub (stereotypical much?) but I've never really done that either.

As a reader of many, many food blogs I've seen Irish themed recipes popping up left, right and centre. I felt that I should probably do something to commemorate the day and make me feel like a good blogger. Just because I don't celebrate, doesn't mean you lovely readers don't!

So I made Irish Cream Bars which I found on the Betty Crocker website. The only ingredient I didn't have in and had to go out and buy was the sour cream. I have Baileys left over from Christmas and this was a perfect opportunity to use some up.


I followed the recipe exactly but my tin was a little smaller than called for and I lined it with foil so it was easy to remove the bars when cooled. The reviews of the recipe on the site mostly say that the topping wasn't thick enough. I didn't have this problem. In fact, the topping is very rich and has a strong Baileys flavour. It's yummy but it's decadent. You wont be eating more than one of these at a time (unless you're a hardcore sugar fan). The slightly bitter chocolate base is light a shortbread type but is quite soft. It too is delicious and complements the sweetness of the topping.

I left out the whipped cream and sprinkles as I didn't think they really needed it. They're simple to make and easy to eat. These would make an excellent, naughty dessert but can also be eaten as a snack. They're really good. I dread to think how many calories they have though!

1 comments:

Chloe 27 March 2009 at 17:18  

Betty Crocker is love.

Is it wrong that i used to buy her tins of icing to dip digestive biscuits in?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP