Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Icing

Tuesday 30 March 2010

This is the best banana cake I've ever made. It's seriously moist and delicious and will be making its way into my repertoire for whenever I have some over ripe bananas to use up. It's easy to make and looks stunning with very little effort. This is definitely my favourite of the two bundts I made this weekend.

The banana flavour is very pronounced (I did use 4 of them!) and, when combined with the sour cream, the cake becomes tender and moist with a soft crumb. I found the original recipe here on Cooks.com but as with the last recipe, there were some problems. The method neglects to mention some of the listed ingredients which is kind of unhelpful! Thankfully, I know how to make a cake and could work out what I needed to do.

I've typed the recipe here as I made it and have converted to metric as usual. I really recommend this cake even if you don't have a bundt pan, I think it would work well in a few loaf tins or maybe even a big batch of cupcakes! The rum icing was amazing. It was the perfect accompaniment to this cake and was so easy to make too.

Ingredients
115g butter
340g sugar
3 or 4 over ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
220g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
120ml (a small pot) sour cream
For the icing
300g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp hot water
3 tsp rum (to taste)

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C and grease an 8 cup bundt pan.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs and bananas and mix well.
Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold in. Finally, stir through the sour cream.
Pur the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning the cake onto a wire rack to cool.
For the icing, combine the sugar, rum and water into a large bowl and blend until it's spreadable. Pour over the top of the cake and allow it to drip down the sides.

2 comments:

stephchows 6 April 2010 at 14:23  

oh my both of these bunt pan cakes look so good!!! you have my belly growling!

Anonymous,  8 April 2010 at 17:10  

Hello Linds,

I'm a researcher at ITV Productions and we are currently searching for potential contestants for Britain’s Best Dish. I came across your blog through the course of my research.

In case you haven’t seen the show before Britain's Best Dish is an annual competition hosted by ITV for amateur cooks. In it we look for Britain's best starter, main course and dessert.

The winner of the competition receives the accolade of Britain's Best Dish and takes home a £10,000 cash prize. We're starting another series in the coming weeks and will be holding our regional auditions in May.

As you are clearly a keen foodie you are just the sort of person we are looking for, so if you are at all interested in taking part or know anyone who may be interested please email ASAP to bestdish@itv.com and we’ll be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Tom

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP