Bread Machine Recipes - Stromboli

Saturday 23 May 2009

I've never made stromboli before. I've never even eaten it before but the images I've seen of oozing fillings of cheese and meat wrapped up in a pizza dough and sliced proved too much for me to take. I bought some mozarella for the ooze factor and used up yet more ingredients from the fridge.
First you'll need to make a batch of basic pizza dough. I used 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup of wholemeal this time and it gives a lovely nutty flavour and texture without being over powering. Once the dough cycle us over, you'll need to split it in half. Roll one half into a rectangle and try to keep it as even as possible as it'll make rolling easier later.

You then need to choose your fillings. Basically you can use anything you'd put on a pizza but be aware that veggies tend to give out a lot of moisture and may make the stromboli soggy. I used raw mushrooms in ours and there was a lot of liquid while they were baking. They were still tasty though. I also uses peppered salami, a little ketchup (we had no tomato puree), garlic sausage, mushrooms, mozarella (low fat), dried mixed herbs and some grated cheddar. You want to spread the fillings out so that they're not too piled up and so that there's a border of around an inch all the way around.

I found mixed messages for how to roll stromboli online. The way I found it easiest was to fold one side over the fillings and the roll the dough from the folded edge in the same way you'd roll a swiss roll. You then need to tuck the ends underneath the roll and place it seam side down onto a baking tray (try to use one with a lip as I didn't and now have an oven cleaning mission ahead of me). You then need to do all that again with the other half of the dough.

Make a few slashes in the top of the rolls and brush them with beaten egg. I used milk because I had no eggs but wouldn't do that again. Eggs will give them a lovely crunchy golden top. Bake in a preheated 200C oven for 30-40 minutes and allow to cool slightly before attempting to slice them. You can also slice them when completely cool if you have the patience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP