The Slow Cooker: Turkey Thigh Joint

Thursday 6 November 2008

We bought a slow cooker a few months ago now. It was going cheap at £12 and it's a good size to feed the two of us (and have leftovers) so we decided to go for it. Al's mum has one and we convinced ourselves it'd be a good idea. So far, we've been right. It's very economical and very easy to just prepare the food, switch it on and walk away.

We've made a few different things so far including chilli, stews and casseroles but I've been looking for something a bit different, a bit more interesting. Having scoured the internet and various forums for recipes I decided that it'd be a good idea to cook a joint of meat in the slow cooker. I read lots of advice from slow cooking experts and decided to give it a go.

We bought a boneless turkey thigh joint of about 900g. I seared it in a pan this morning with some dried herbs, cumin and paprika until all sides had a nice golden colour.
I roughly chopped up a couple of small onions and chucked them into the bottom of the pot, I added a crushed up stock cube, the meat, a clove of crushed garlic and about 1/2 cm of water in the bottom and switched the cooker on high.
I turned it down to low after about 3 hours and left it that way until we were ready to eat.

The meat was so tender it just fell apart as we carved it (as you can see in the picture). A few gravy granules were added to the juice to thinken it up a little and served it with the meat and some roast potatoes. It was good. We're using the leftover meat with some fresh pasta tomorrow.

The only problem I had is that turkey and chicken seem to go a little stringy in the cooker. It wasn't so bad with a large joint (smaller chicken pieces in a casserole just aren't good). We've got a lamb shoulder joint to try next and I'm expecting it to be delicious.

2 comments:

Glenna 12 November 2008 at 17:51  

I agree. The slow cooker, or crockpot as we usually call them in my area, is perfect for throw it in and leave it. And you know that's really great to come home to from work when you don't feel like cooking. So much better than eating fast food! Can't wait to see how your lamb comes out.

Linds 12 November 2008 at 18:25  

They're great and I enjoy experimenting a bit too. I'm still getting used to cooking dinner at breakfast time though! The lamb was delicious, it got eaten before any pictures were taken though. Oops!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP