Vegan Month

Monday 1 February 2010


Welcome to Vegan Month on my blog!

I should start by explaining why I'm doing this. I'm not vegan, I was vegetarian for some years but have been eating meat for the last 5 years. I'm not squeamish about meat and I do try to eat free range where possible.

Veganism itself really interests me and I understand why people choose this lifestyle but a lot of people don't get it. There seems to be a stigma surrounding vegans that brings to mind a waif-like hippy eating tofu and rice cakes (or cardboard).

While I (and my family) do eat a few vegetarian meals a week, they invariably contain cheese or eggs for a protein kick and though they are delicious, they do contain a fair amount of fat. By incorporating vegan meals into my diet I hope to gain more knowledge and understanding of new ingredients and ways to create healthy, delicious meals that appeal to non vegans.

I am not going to adopt a full vegan diet for a month. I will be trying new recipes and adding them to my usual family repertoire. I will also be reviewing vegan products and restaurants and getting an insight into what it's like to be a vegan.

I have two lovely helpers this month, both of whom are vegan. Christina writes the wonderful Artichoke Zine, she has contributed some of the recipes I will be using this month along with an article about her vegan store cupboard must haves. Jhon is a guitarist in the pop-punk band Mike TV and he's contributing some more recipes and useful links along with a feature about what being a vegan means to him.

So, I hope you enjoy this month's feature, I'm really excited to be beginning this exploration and can't wait to try new and hopefully delicious things!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP