Chocolate Chip Cookies

Friday 26 February 2010

I've made my fair share of vegan cupcakes. They're something I really enjoy making. It's all about the chemistry of ingredients and how they work together to form a light, fluffy and delicious treat. I've not really ventured into vegan cookie baking though. I don't really why, I think I must need to purchase Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar! I'm sure that would push me to make some cookies.

Anyway, I was searching for a simple cookie recipe to start me off. I found all sorts of recipes requiring a range of ingredients that I don't have in my cupboard. I found this recipe on YouTube actually. It struck me as an easy recipe with no unusual ingredients (apart from Blackstrap Molasses but I just left that out). Who can resist a chocolate chip cookie?

The recipe was simple and came together really easily. The cookie came out chewy in the middle and crispy at the edges which was lovely. I was quite generous with the chocolate chips and ended up sticking the stray ones from the bottom of the bowl into the formed cookies.

I think I'd use brown sugar next time to add a bit more of a depth of flavour (maybe that's where the blackstrap comes in?) and have altered the recipe to reflect that. As usual, I've turned the measurements metric.

Ingredients
110g Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1⁄2 tsp Baking Soda
50g Soft Brown Sugar
Pinch of Salt
75ml Maple Syrup
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
75ml Vegetable Oil
50g Dairy Free Chocolate Chips

Method
Preheat the oven to 175C and prepare a baking sheet.
Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
Add the sugar and salt and mix to combine.
In a seperate bowl or measuring jug, mix together the maple syrup, vanilla and oil.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
Add the chocolate pieces and stir until distributed evenly through the dough.
Shape the dough into walnut sized balls and place on a baking sheet. Space the cookies about an inch or so apart as they do spread. Flatten the balls slightly.
Bake in the oven for around 11 minutes. Be careful not to overbake as the cookies may dry out.
Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

veggievixen 27 February 2010 at 04:19  

yes, chocolate chip cookies are SO much better with brown sugar. i use dorie greenspan's recipe, which is "the best," as it says, but a really solid vegan recipe would be nice. maybe isa & terry's new vegan cookie book?

Linds 27 February 2010 at 08:51  

I wasn't sure when I made them that the brown sugar was necessary with the maple syrup otherwise I would have used it straight away. The maple flavour was subtle enough that brown sugar would definitely make this cookie shine.

They were lovely. I like chewy middles and crispy edges on my cookies and that's what I got with this.

I'm sure I'll get hold of the cookie book at some point too. There are some wonderful lookin recipes in there.

Thanks for commenting. :)

Artichoke Zine 27 February 2010 at 09:40  

They look so good, perfect choc chip cookies!
My favourite sugar in most baking is golden caster sugar- it's so good!

Linds 27 February 2010 at 09:50  

I always use golden caster sugar in my baking, I lov it! This time, I think the deep flavour of brown sugar would have given these a nice caramel edge *drool* but they were really good as they are. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP