Tofu Scramble

Friday 5 February 2010

I decided that my first official vegan meal of the month should be a breakfast dish. For me, breakfast usually consists of cereal, toast or maybe some kind of fruit salad. If I go for a cooked breakfast is may be bacon and eggs or a full english. Hardly vegan friendly though, right?

I've seen tofu scrambles around and about and never really thought much of it. I bought some tofu the other day when I was preparing for this month and couldn't really think of what to do with it. I was eating breakfast the other morning and saw just how un-vegan my breakfasts usually are (milk on cereal, butter on toast, yogurt on...spoons?) and decided to have a vegan breakfast to start my day.


Tofu scramble is exactly what it sounds like. Tofu is spiced with (in my case) indian flavours and gently heated with onions, mushrooms and tomatoes (or whatever takes your fancy really). The texture resembles scrambled eggs but sligtly drier. This was perfect on wholemeal toast and really set me up for the day. My mum wasn't convinced though and wouldn't try it because it "didn't smell like breakfast." I thought it was great and have since used up the rest of the tofu on another breakfast. I reckon spinach would be an excellent addition...if only I had any!

Ingredients (spices are to taste)
1/4 an onion, chopped
2-3 mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander
Turmeric
Chilli powder
Dried Mixed Herbs
Half a block of tofu, drained
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
Soy Sauce
Black Pepper
Water

Method
Gently fry the onion, garlic, spices and mushrooms in a little oil until the vegetables are soft and the spices are warm.
Crumble in the tofu and stir to coat with the spices. Add a little water if it looks dry.
Add the tomatoes
Continue to cook until the tofu is hot.
Season with soy and black pepper and serve on hot toast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP